American woman, please don't stay away from me

I currently feel like shit.


I feel ignored, and ridiculous, and all other awful feeling things a girl can feel sometimes. So I'm going to write about a woman who wouldn't let herself get down over this, because I am not letting someone else make me feel this bad, and golly am I'm tired of crying.

I want to write about someone who is an inspiration to me, a woman who wouldn't just sit by and cry over someone either, yes ladies and gents, Judy Garland is her name, and American women are the game. From Somewhere Over the Rainbow to A Star is Born, Judy Garland is stellar. I can honestly say I know every word in Meet Me in St. Louis, and I admit that proudly. She dealt with her drug addiction, multiple failing relationships, and hundreds of husbands, all the while remaining as lovely as ever. She was a true American Woman.

The characters she choose to play were all ideal. They were innocent ingenues, but stuck up for things they knew were right. They couldn't be contained by society yet they still maintained their own moral codes. They had huge hearts and amounts of courage to match. They went through heart ache and pulled through to the end. They were ideal American Women.

I recently read an interesting article in the financial times titles American Ideal. It discussed how everyone all over the world knew about these American women and their outrageous acts in the 1920's. They could do what they want, they weren't just stay at home women anymore. They were out partying and smoking and drinking gin and playing poker... while still wearing heels, a dress, and smelling wonderful, so scandalous. They were sassy alright, but they were delicate flowers at the same time. It's a balance and partnership of characteristics that made them so appealing. It's the perfect equation for a woman of intelligence and intrigue and freedom at the same time, it's so damn American. It's all about freedom and the ideals of not being contained, while still maintaing the womanly image. It's one of the most endearing things to see in other women I think, and I hope to have some of these qualities myself.

I think the most inspiring women are those like Judy Garland. The opinionated, stubborn women who still maintain a grace about them. They are free and fun and loving, but they won't be taken for granted... and they have the confidence to do what they want. I hope that I too can be an ideal American woman in this life, free and soft, but strong and courageous.

And to all those American woman out there, you are truly awe inspiring, just like Ms. Garland.

2 comments:

May 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM Christine Marie said...

You are my favorite blog writer.
Seriously. Always inspiring and quirky and thought-provoking.
Thank you for giving American women the credit they deserve. Because they deserve more than they're given.
And I love that you have an idol aside from Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe. Not that those two aren't fantastic but I feel like most girls just jump on the bandwagon and say they like them because it's the trendy thing to do.

May 12, 2010 at 8:54 PM Kaitlyn Skinner said...

Oh CHristine thank you so much for being one of the rare people who actually reads my ramblings!

It's so sad really the global reputation America has. That's why as traveler's it's our jobs to promote a good image and positivity that our country has to offer everywhere we go! We meet so many people, so luckily, we can affect so many people! : )

P.s.- I'm very jealous of your adventures right now. They look fabulous.

Post a Comment