An ode to the perfect summer hat.

It's no lie that my skin is as white as snow... and it's sickening. When summer roles around it's all about sunscreen and hats for me, and hopefully a bit of tan will come my way without turning me into a wrinkly old woman. But finding the perfect hat is sickening as well, seeing as I look like a complete oaf in half of them out there. But this summer, I found it.


Now, this obviously isn't a fashion blog. But I admit I do spend a fair bit of my time browsing lookbook and reading Elle & Vogue & Nylon & Lucky. Sometimes I just find myself completely captivated by the art of fashion.

I hope we can all agree without getting into the "what is art" argument, that fashion is an art form, right? It's expression, it's beauty,and honestly it's rare in a world filled with people walking around purely in outfits put together and mass produced out of stores like top shop or forever 21... not that I don't shop at those stores as well. But fashion isn't supposed to be about everyone looking exactly the same. Everyone wearing shoes, shorts, shirts, bags, headbands, all from one store. No... it's art! That means it's creativity, it's new, it's experimenting, it's pushing the boundaries sometimes. Let's face it, fashion isn't about comfort, it's about so much more, just like any other art form. Do you really think the first ballerina's to perform Le Scare Du Printemps( The rite of Spring) felt comfort when mass chaos broke out just due to the choreography... not they were pushing the limits. They knew people wouldn't like it, it wasn't comfortable for them, but they were creating art.

The thing is , it is far easier to wear our Gap sweater with our Nordstrom jeans and Steve Madden flats, because that's what the magazines or stores have put together for us... but that my friends, is not fashion to me. That's simply tracing a drawing someone else put their passion and imagination into. So this summer, I am trying out some new things, trying to push my own boundaries. I refuse to plagiarize.

I've found a hat I wouldn't normally pick out for me, and it turned out to look quite groovy on me I think! So try something new, maybe even check out your local thrift stores and just start creating... if you feel inclined to do so. Like other forms of art, fashion doesn't have to be for everyone. But it is for me, and I feel quite passionate about it.

And passion, is what creates world changing art. And just like in life, pushing the boundaries for something you are passionate about isn't going to feel safe, but that doesn't mean it isn't right.

And to think, all this flew out of my mouth... or my fingers I suppose... because of a hat.

3 comments:

May 7, 2010 at 6:14 AM alaina said...

i'm so glad you found the perfect hat :) and thanks for the reminder to be creative and push boundaries in what I wear...it should be a form of self expression, not just blending in and i should feel like ME in what i wear...i often forget this and get carried away with what is 'IN'.
I was blog snooping and I found on your boyfriends blog that you are going to NZ together?! That is SO EXCITING :) it's where im from, and even though I don't live there it is still my favourite place on this earth!(so far!) when are you going?

May 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM Kaitlyn Skinner said...

Hello Alaina!

Yes you heard right, my boyfriend and I are going to NZ! I am so so beyond excited, we are going on a working holiday visa late october or early november next year! It looks absolutely positively beautiful there! : )

May 8, 2010 at 7:17 AM Christine Marie said...

I LOVE every single one of your entries but especially this one.
I totally agree with you on the fashion bit. Fashion is about telling the world who you are. And apparently, a lot of people are cheap, common, and wannabe trendy, because a lot of people wear Forever 21 a lot :)
Please post a picture of your hat, I'd love to see it!

Post a Comment