The good and the complicated.


Well today was one of those days where it not only looked dreary outside my window but in fact it was dreary outside my window. The clouds were white with darkened grey bottoms filling the sky so that my awe filled view of the mountains was completely non existent. I had to literally tear myself out of my bed, the idea of staying under my down comforter was gripping my heart. Why, oh why do I have to go to classes on days like this? So, as I ran into my shower and got out I decided it was time to take the day into my own hands. Yes that's right, the dreary weather does not control my day, I do!

So I put on my tights, my blue plaid dress with a bow in front, and my red peacoat. Out I went ready to take my day by storm! Well it felt worse outside than it looked from my bed, my 3 minute walk to class was consumed by wind and sleet, a runny nose, red cheeks, and the thought that winter is finally here to stay... aka I am going to be as pale as the snow on the grounds very soon... lovely... But besides that- I have a lot on my mind other than my white skin, fading summer freckles, icy rain, and exams coming up.

The Good:
Callum makes the trek from Manchester to Arizona in 11 days. I am so glad, I am so ready. American Thanksgiving is brilliant and having an englishman here to share the American holiday with me makes it all the better! It is going to be an eventful thanksgiving as well... to say the very least.

Also, Christmas season is here, which does insane things to me. It's a known fact that I already sing and dance wherever I go during the day- but Christmas ups this to extreme levels...I'm talking so much singing and dancing that I am almost unbearable for people not in a fantastic mood! Yeah, that's a whole lot of crazy for one short 19 year old girl. I am already planning all the fantastic things I will be doing and all the fantastic gifts I will be giving!

I have also decided in an attempt to help out the earth this Christmas I will be using recycled materials for all my gift wrappings- creativity time to the max! I think that this will be not only a chance to get artistic but also to take small measures to be a better person on earth. Win & win for Katie. Anyone want to take the plunge with me?

By the way, I have such great news... my shin splints are getting better! This is cause for a huge celebration! I have found wrapping them to be comforting for about ten minutes of a run usually- then it all goes down hill. But I have been doing this pressure/ice/heat/ stretch combination that is really seeming to do the trick! This is big everyone, shin splints hurt like hell.

The complicated:
And on a different note- I have come into some new realization's lately about honesty. And my realization is that honesty may not always be the number one priority in life- but when you feel awful for not being honest, like something is pulling on your conscience- that probably means you should be honest in the situation. I try to be an honest person, I really do, but I will say that I have big emotional issues with being a disappointment of a child- as silly as that sounds, which can sometimes lead to a lack of honesty with my parents. As of late, I was tending to hide some big decisions I was making from my accepting parents which was the wrong way to handle the situation. I made excuses for myself and thought I was doing what was right, even though i felt something tugging at my brain saying... "katie, you are a complete hypocrite, just tell the truth already you son of a gypsy!" The truth of the matter was, I wasn't being honest with people who deserve sheer honesty from me.

But here is the hard part: when is complete honesty important? We don't want to tell our friends that they have gained too much weight, we don't want to tell our family member that their new hair cut makes them look like Billy Ray Cyrus, we don't want to tell our boyfriend that his new guitar song sounds like a dying coyote, when is real honesty important? I think for me- how I know when it is complete honesty I need- is when it actually feels wrong for me to not be honest. Now, I realize everyones moral compass points a different direction- but I know how mine works by this point in my life.

So my new rule- when for some reason I am feeling upset about not being completely honest- that is when it is time to pull out all the stops- and let honesty ring! Okay, that was a ridiculously dramatic crappy comparison to let freedom ring, but I imagine you get the point!

There it is, the good and the complicated. What's the good and complicated for you right now?

1 comments:

November 15, 2009 at 5:08 AM alaina said...

Wow, what an amazing blog...You really have a talent for putting your thoughts into words! I 'think' and 'feel' a LOT but never seem to quite get it out how it sounded in my head :)

Thanks for your comment on my blog! where are you going to be an au pair? I love it so much, but learning french has been a bit of a chore and slightly hard when you're looking after kids that you can't speak to ;) But if you're not going to have to speak a foreign language you should have a ball!
LOVED(i love a lot of things too) what you said about the look of contentment after a smile..ain't that just the greatest!
Oh, and thanks for the luck...i will probably need it :D

Post a Comment