Am I an animal? Part 1

Well it's supposed to snow in Flagstaff tonight and tomorrow, so clearly I am sitting here checking the weather every ten minutes, waiting for the snow to fall, and hoping for a text from my university tomorrow saying "class cancelled" aka... SNOW DAY.


Snow day, two of the greatest words invented. The definition of snow day is: A day in which leaving the house except to build a snow man will be putting yourself into danger so one must only eat popcorn and nutella and canned soup( the only things in my pantry right now) drink lots of tea and snuggle up to a book one is really looking forward to reading. That's my daydream for tomorrow, not what is actually going to happen. I am actually going to have to put on all the clothes I own and march through sleet and snow across campus to my classes. But what's important here really, is that one of my classes is actually helping me change.

Woah, change? Can people really change? Wait, can I really evolve myself in the course of 3 months? The answer is yes, I've done it in a week. It all started last Monday.

Monday evenings I have class called HUM 373, aka Nature and Values. I am the only humanities major in a class which all environmental studies majors are required to take. We were having an in class discussion after our grey haired lanky man of a professor wearing his plaid shirt read us the syllabus, and it was all about why aren't we changing. Everyone knows the ozone layer is depleting the Hopi tribe has said we have already gone so far we can't turn back and a British guy who knows what he is talking about has stated that after this century we are probably done, kaput, peace out planet Earth. So why aren't we changing when change is a part of our culture already?

We threw around ideas, and then I came to a conclusion on a whim said it out loud and everyone went, yeah. I am an animal. You, me, the badger, my best friend, my dog, my sister, all every single one of us, animals. But no one looks at it that way. Because we think we are above it. Because we live in our cultures we think we are not apart of nature.

We believe that we can own anything, we don't think of ourselves as a part of the land we live on, we think of ourselves as owning it. It part of our culture, we own our animals and land and we are certainly not animals, we are humans. But it's also part of our culture to change.

We are amazing animals, but we are animals. So try and think about that... try and think about ways you and I could change, do you want to change?

0 comments:

Post a Comment