Katie on Lovely Love.


Love. It's true I love far to many things in life. But for a second I want to concentrate on that sweaty palmed, racing heart, rosy cheeked love.

This past week I got to spend with my love. The english man himself crossed the atlantic and spent american thanksgiving with me and my family. Although I know I'll be over in the Uk with him in 3 weeks, I can't help but feel this sort of emptiness when he leaves. As the day went on, I just felt kind of torn between tired and glad to see friends and uncomfortable with being alone again and sad. It's a very odd feeling( please forgive how disgustingly mushy I sound.)

But what is it about love that is so wonderful and can quench our desires yet can leave us feeling so thirsty for more when it's gone? Why am I... the girl who never falls deep... finding myself trudging in swamps of knee-high romance? How do I define this intangible thing... how do I define what I'm feeling?

Have you ever looked up a definition of love? It's absolutely ridiculous and leaves a person feeling like who ever wrote these definitions is full of bull shit and roses at the same time. There are all these giant metaphors and colossal descriptions of Love that only describe smiles and things that seem so fake and unrealistic. But love is undefinable, it's too many things, to too many people to have a definition.

Love is different for everyone in their own relationship. For me love is the fact that we make long distance work, love is the fact that he hates musicals and yet is willing to go with me, love is the fact that I never want to leave his side yet I am willing to spend months apart because I know the future will be better, love is the fact that he calls me a window licker and I don't get offended, love is the fact that he makes me laugh... a lot, love is the fact that he doesn't mind that I say stupid things and act like a nut job sometimes, love is the fact that I am not bothered at how big of nerd he actually is on the inside, love is the fact that I make up words to songs on the radio and he rolls his eyes at me but just lets me blissfully sing, love is the fact that he knows my flaws... yet loves me.

Love to me, with him, is a lot of things... but definable is not one of those things. I don't understand why we feel the need to define love.

Here is the thing, we don't need a definition to tell us if we are in love or not, we just need to open ourselves up to people and trust what we feel. We can fall in love with many people in our long lives, but to find two people who are in deep with each other and understand each other and want to make it work... that's the ultimate. And that's lovely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment