An Explanation

If it's true that copying is a form of flattery, it's only obvious that I admire Joan Didion and George Orwell. I choose to call my blog Why I Live because when I was 16 years old, someone I respect very much, assigned me and my fellow class mates to read Joan Didion's Why I Write. For some reason those three words show up in my life often. Although almost everything in my AP Language class has stuck with me, and I believe made me learn to question things even more, this one essay has never left my mind. Didion says in Why I Write that she has just that one subject she can report on, her writing, it's her focus and area. Well, I have chosen to focus on something in my life as well, and that's simply living.


Now I don't mean living in the sense of "living the good life" nor do I mean to down play the way other people live their lives. I only mean to talk on a subject that I am devoting my focus on in life. The one topic that I think gives me insight into the human condition. I have no divine right to say that how one person lives their life is incorrect. But I do have the right to view my life, and view the lives of all those I see and try to come to some realization on why we as humans do what we do, why we feel what we feel, and why we don't do what we really should. Like Didion I don't flatter myself to believe that I am an expert in any area other than this.

Living is all I know. I know that life is flawed and life is painful and life is shit sometimes. But beyond all that, this is my and yours one life to live. And I can truly say that I believe living and experiencing life is how we as people become tolerant, loving, and humane. This is it, and I intend for this life to be all I can make it. This life will be joyous and loving and adventurous all of my time.

So here is to better understanding life, here is to truly being a human who focuses on living.

Cheers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment